Job Title: Steel Erector
Overall Job Purpose: To erect, join, cut and repair beams and girders along with other structural components to form complete structures or frameworks.
Responsible to: Site Foreman
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Loading material onto the lorry prior to work start and then unloading upon arrival on site
- Assembling and erecting steel structures and fabrications through the use of hand tools such as Spanners, Ratchets, Hammers, Levels and Nut/Bolt fixtures
- Interoperating and working to Engineering Drawings, Specifications and Blueprints
- Possible MIG Welding
- Erecting steel structures and fabricated components according to customer specifications
- Use of Crane and Lifting equipment
- Use of Tele handler
- Occasional use and construction of temporary support structures such as Braces, Jacks, Ropes, Clamps and Straps
- Treat and Clean the work piece after construction
- Use of Hand Tools such as Grinders to remove Slag, Dross or Spatter
- Examine final construct for any obvious defects or discontinuities
Personal Qualities and Qualifications
- Previous experience working in Construction or similar role
- Experience working in structural steel a distinct advantage
- Ability to use Hand Tools and work with Mechanical Fixtures
- Experience using machinery such as Crane and Tele handler
- Ability to read and interoperate Engineering Drawings and Blueprints
- Basic Understanding of Engineering Mathematics and Geometry
- Ability to work in harsh conditions and work at heights were required
- Hands on approach to work.
- Interpersonal and communication skills.
Qualifications and Certification:
- City and Guilds in Mechanical Engineering, Completion of a Mechanical Engineering apprenticeship or Diploma in Mechanical Engineering.
- Relevant Experience will be considered in absence of qualifications.
- CSCS Card
- Forklift license / Tele handler (Advantageous)
Working Hours: Monday to Friday (Full time)
Location: Torquay / Exeter
Remuneration: £13 – £16 P/H (DOE)
Probation: 3 month probationary period.