Overall Job Purpose: To provide exceptional levels of care to adult individuals with Autism, Asperger’s and other disabilities while encouraging independent living in a supportive and safe environment.
Responsible to: Registered Care Manager
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To develop and maintain strong relationships with clients and encourage independent living i.e. decision making, personal care.
- Assist residents with personal care when required
- Support residents during meal times with dietary needs, healthy eating, weight management
- Undertake residents personal tasks such as laundry and provide full support to encourage independency
- Support residents with physical disabilities and mobility difficulties.
- Clean and maintain equipment used by residents e.g. wheelchairs, hearing aids, spectacles.
- Support residents with health issues and accompany them to appointments and keeping records as necessary and care for residents if their health deteriorates.
- To support and enable residents to achieve their full potential in all areas of communication.
- Contribute and participate in the identifying of residents needs and production of individual care plans.
- Provide input and play an active part in accompanying residents in daily activities, outing and holiday as required
- Encourage residents to integrate into community life i.e shopping, library, cinema, pubs and leisure centres
- Support residence in the learning of new skills ensuring they receive the highest quality service while encouraging independence and life fulfilment.
- Maintain and uphold the dignity of residence at all times.
- Work as part of a team and liaise with colleagues on the day to day running’s of the residence and planning of daily activities
- To undertake cleaning/domestic tasks according to the Home’s recorded schedule, conducting all procedures within the Home with due regard to the Food Hygiene and Health & Safety Regulations
- To complete necessary record keeping, including reading and writing reports, verbal communication, incident/accident recording.
- To answer telephone calls, greet visitors to the Home, maintain records as appropriate.
Health & Safety:
- Reporting immediately to the Home manager, or Person in Charge, any illness of an infectious nature or accident incurred by a resident, colleague self or another.
- Understand, and ensure the implementation of, the Home’s Health & Safety policy, and Emergency and Fire procedures.
- Report to the Home Manager, or the handyperson, any faulty appliances, damaged furniture, equipment or any potential hazard.
- Promote safe working practice within the Home
- Previous experience working in care or support work
- Smart and well presented at all times
- Have a keen interest in working in the care industry and be devoted to delivering a high quality professional care
- Willingness to learn and develop through experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to build strong rapport with clients, families and friends.
- Adaptable and willing to support others working as a team or individually where required.
- Willing to be flexible with regards to working hours and days.
Qualifications and Certification
In the absence of formal qualifications, relevant experience will be considered
- NVQ Level 2 in Care Management, Health and Social Care or Nursing.
- Transferable DBS or willingness to pay or contribute to the cost of having on carried out (usually £50 to £70)
- Full Driver’s License
Type of Employment: Permanent
Working Hours: Full Time (candidates will need to be flexible with regards to days / hours
Location: Crediton area
Additional Benefits: Further Training and Development
Probationary Period: 3 Months